Admission of International Students

Windward Community College is a Student and Exchange Visitor Program-certified school, authorized to enroll F-1 or M-1 international students in SEVIS-approved programs. International students must comply with all U.S. Department of Homeland Security regulations and University of Hawai‘i policies. Contact the Admissions & Records Office for information on eligible programs.

Admissions & Records Office
Hale Alaka‘i 112

1. Fulfill English Proficiency Requirement

  • Score must be within two years prior to the start of the semester
  • Score must be sent directly to Windward Community College Admissions & Records office (#4976)
  • Minimum score TOEFL 500 (paper-based), 173 (computer-based), or 61 (internet-based); IELTS academic section 5.5; or EIKEN = Step 2A

Note: If a student’s native language is English (Australia, Canada except Quebec, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom), they are exempt from English Proficiency Requirement.

2. Submit University of Hawai‘i System Application

  • Apply online
  • Pay the non-refundable non-resident application fee
  • Select an approved SEVIS degree program

3. Submit University of Hawai‘i Supplementary Information Form for Undergraduate International Applicants

  • Form includes an affidavit of financial support that shows sponsorship and/or financial support in US dollars (USD) for tuition, books/supplies, and living costs for the duration of study (refer to supplementary application for estimated cost of attendance)
  • Include Sponsor’s bank statement in US dollars (must be within the last 6 months)

4. Submit Transcripts

  • Official high school (secondary) transcripts showing evidence of successful completion of schooling equivalent to 12 years of U.S. education sent directly by the high school to Windward Community College Admissions & Records office (must include graduation date)
  • Official college (post-secondary) transcripts sent directly by college to Windward Community College Admissions & Records office
  • All transcripts must be in English or accompanied by an English translation that has been certified by either a school official or a U.S. consular official

5. Submit Signed International Student Health Insurance Acknowledgement Form

  • To protect international students against the high cost of unanticipated health care expenses resulting from accidents or illness
  • During the first week of the semester, provide proof of valid up-to-date medical health insurance

6. Meet the Deadline (including all documents to complete application)

  • Fall Semester (starts in August) deadline is June 1
  • Spring Semester (starts in January) deadline is November 1
  • Summer not accepting application

7. Upon Acceptance to the College

  • I-20 will be issued with acceptance letter via mail
    • With I-20, apply for a student visa through the U.S. Embassy or Consulate of the country
    • For Transfer Student (currently enrolled in college in the United States) , submit Transfer International Student form
  • Pay SEVIS fee via
  • Submit Health Clearances
  • Required to register resident (on-campus) classes at Windward Community College at least full-time status (12 credits)

8. During the First Week of the Semester at Windward Community College

  • Provide proof of valid up-to-date medical health insurance
  • Submit copy of current passport
  • Submit local mailing address