Art 123 is an introduction to the materials and techniques of oil painting. Classical painting techniques will be emphasized. May be repeated up to 6 credits.
ART 101, 113 and 114.
- Execute paintings using traditional painting techniques.
- Complete the technical process from preparation of the ground (canvas) to the completion of a painting.
- Execute underpainting, grisaille and limited palette painting techniques.
- Apply the visual elements of line, shape, light and shadow, color, texture and space as well as the design principles of balance, rhythm, focal points, implied movement and unity to a painting.
- Discuss oil painting concepts and techniques.
- Critique work based on oil painting concepts and techniques.