ART 223 : Intermediate Painting
Survey of late 19th and early 20th century studio practice. Completion of paintings which concentrate on historical styles as well as on a more personal direction. May be repeated for up to 6 credits.
Credit for ART 123 or consent of instructor.
- Create paintings that exhibit a working knowledge of recent developments in the pictorial structure of paintings.
- Understand and use the dynamic organization of pattern, two and three dimensional space and rhythmic demands of the “flat” picture plane.
- Confidently paint shape, edges, color relationships and space with increased sensitivity.
- Develop original and personal concepts and techniques.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the technical aspect of the painting process.
- Develop the language skills used in the critical evaluation of paintings.