ART 224 : Painting from Life
Art 224 is a survey of the figurative tradition of painting, using the model as the primary subject matter. This course is an intensive studio experience of painting from the model. May be repeated up to 6 credits.
Credit for ART 123 and 214, or consent of instructor.
- Create paintings that exhibit a working knowledge of the figurative tradition of painting from the Renaissance to the present.
- Paint the human figure accurately and expressively.
- Sensitively apply the visual elements of line, shape, light and shadow, color, texture and space, and the design principles of balance, rhythm, focal points, implied movement and unity to figure painting projects.
- Execute the painting process from canvas preparation to the completion of a painting.
- Create limited palettes, and explore color harmony and balance within a painting.
- Use art terminology to evaluate paintings.