General Education Student Learning Outcomes
Global and Cultural Awareness
Develop the ability to perceive how people interact with their cultural and natural environments, through their own worldview and through the worldviews of others, in order to analyze how individuals and groups function in local and global contexts.
Specific outcomes in Global and Cultural Awareness may include:
- Analyze and empathize with the attitudes and beliefs of other cultures
- Identify instances where cultural norms affect cross-cultural communication
- Explore how various factors shape a culture’s development and values and one’s sense of place
Critical Thinking and Creativity
Make judgments, solve problems, and reach decisions using analytical, critical, and creative thinking skills.
Specific outcomes in Critical Thinking and Creativity may include:
- Identify challenges and problems and find solutions through creative exploration, scientific and quantitative reasoning, and other forms of inquiry
- Analyze complex ideas to arrive at reasoned conclusions
- Use creative processes to discover potential and to express ideas and beliefs
Use written, visual, and oral communication to discover, develop, and communicate meaning, and to respond respectfully to the ideas of others in multiple environments.
Specific outcomes in Communication may include:
- Listen to, comprehend, interpret, analyze, synthesize and evaluate ideas
- Present ideas in a variety of formats, including written, oral and visual
- Convey ideas and facts to a variety of audiences in various contexts
Identify information needed in a variety of situations, and access, evaluate, and use relevant information effectively and responsibly.
Specific outcomes in Information Literacy may include:
- Determine the nature and extent of information needed in order to accomplish a goal
- Use appropriate resources and methods to access and acquire relevant information
- Critically evaluate information and its sources
- Organize, synthesize, and communicate information to achieve a specific purpose
- Apply ethical, legal and social standards when using information and information technology