HLTH 125 : Survey of Medical Terminology
HLTH 125 familiarizes the student with medical terminology used in both human and animal medicine through analysis of prefixes, suffixes, and word roots. This course covers the pronunciation, spelling, and definitions of selected medical words dealing with mammalian body systems. Commonly used medical abbreviations and pharmacological terms are also discussed.
Grade of “C” or better in ENG 21 or ENG 23, or placement in ENG 100X
- Correctly define, spell and pronounce selected medical terms dealing with anatomical planes and regions, anatomy of major body systems and associated diseases and disorders.
- Correctly use plural endings for medical terms.
- Apply knowledge of root words, prefixes and suffixes to identify meaning of novel medical terms.
- Define and give examples of terminology used to describe common surgical and diagnostic procedures.
- Recognize and define common medical and pharmacological abbreviations.