JOUR 287V : Newspaper Production
Complete production of the student newspaper Ka‘Ohana, including reporting, writing, layout, editing, photography, web and social media. Repeatable for up to 6 credits.
Grade of C or better in ENG 100 and credit for or registration in JOUR 205 or 250; or consent of instructor. NOTE: credits are variable 1 to 3 credits.
- Apply basic journalistic concepts and principles to produce a range of articles that meet standards for publication, including readability, accuracy, news style and mechanics.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of page design principles and software to produce pages for a tabloid publication.
- Apply knowledge of photography to take pictures using a digital camera and to edit them for publications.
- As part of a team, produce a monthly publication that meets journalistic standards for news value, readability, accuracy, objectivity, clarity, balance and fairness.
- Demonstrate an ability to generate story ideas, meet deadlines, gather and organize information, and follow through on assignments.