SP 181 : Introduction to Interpersonal Communication
Introduction to basic principles of interaction between two people. Emphasis is on enhancement of skills in a variety of interpersonal contexts.
Placement in ENG 21 or ENG 23 or higher.
- Analyze situations in terms of communication models, identifying perspective and perception.
- Demonstrate improvement in listening skills through tests and critical analysis of other students by avoiding listening problems and practicing guidelines for listener feedback.
- Determine the source of individual values and development in understanding and analyzing self-image as the communicator.
- Recognize nonverbal communication identifying body language, gesture, facial expression, and posture.
- Apply effectively specific skills to improve assertiveness.
- Define conflict/stress and identify steps in reaching a mutually acceptable decision.
- Trace the development of relationships, identifying major steps of each level, and analyzing the progression of these levels.