This course provides students with hands-on training in basic companion-animal exam and nursing skills. Topics include: animal restraint methods, medical charting and patient exam procedures, specimen collection, administration of medications, grooming and husbandry. This course is intended for students entering veterinary technology, veterinary assisting or other animal-related fields.
Grade “C” or better in ANSC 142 and ANSC 142L.
- Safely and effectively restrain companion animals
- Gather subjective and objective patient information efficiently
- Perform venipuncture and collect diagnostic samples of skin, blood, urine, and feces
- Perform basic grooming such as bathing, nail trims, and ear cleaning
- Apply emergency splints and bandages & administer medications by various routes (IV, IM, SQ, & PO)