Demonstration of astronomical principles through laboratory observations and analysis of astronomical data. Not required for ASTR 110.
Credit for or registration in ASTR 110 or consent of instructor.
- Apply the scientific method to a selected group of topics in astronomy.
- Collect, report and analyze data obtained in a laboratory and/ or observatory setting in a manner exhibiting organization, proper documentation and critical thinking.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the use of standard astronomical instruments.
- Perform image analysis, especially as related to astronomical photographic data.
- Identify environmental factors, which affect the outcome of an experiment or observation and apply basic error analyses techniques.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of computer on-line and Internet astronomical programs.