Structure, nomenclature, properties and reactions of organic compounds will be studied with emphasis on those compounds of practical importance in life science and related fields.
Credit for CHEM 151 or equivalent or consent of instructor.
- Construct molecular models and use these to describe chemical structure, geometry and physical properties.
- Identify, classify and name organic and biochemical compounds.
- Predict products of fundamental organic reactions.
- Use the vocabulary on organic chemicals and reactions in metabolism and other biochemical applications.
- Explain the role of enzymes in metabolism.
- Apply knowledge of biochemistry concepts to discuss the genetic cause of a metabolic disorder in a short research paper..