Laboratory principles of Organic Chemistry II, the second semester course in organic chemistry intended for science majors. Topics to be covered include techniques, synthesis, qualitative organic analysis and applications of spectroscopy.
A grade of “C” or better in CHEM 272L and a grade of “C” or better or registration in CHEM 273 or consent of instructor.
- Perform and develop skills in organic chemistry laboratory methods and techniques used in separation and purification.
- Determine the chemical identity of some organic chemicals through their properties.
- Keep complete and accurate records, manipulate data for mathematical calculations, including reactant recovery and percent yield.
- Apply laboratory safety procedures, including safe disposal of waste.
- Gain experience in organic synthesis and functional group conversion.
- Interpret experimental data and formulate conclusions as evidenced in laboratory reports.