An elementary course in the Hawaiian language which focuses on rules of grammar, pattern drills, the building of an adequate vocabulary to facilitate conversation, and reading of selected materials at an elementary level.
Student Learning Outcomes Are:
- Recognize and reproduce the correct pronunciation of consonants, semivowels, vowels, diphthongs, words and names in Hawaiian.
- Demonstrate the ability to comprehend and respond to basic directions, requests, questions and answers.
- Demonstrate the ability to generate basic phrases and sentences for everyday situations with a vocabulary of 400-500 Hawaiian words, plus idiomatic expressions.
- Demonstrate the ability to read and write Hawaiian sentences at an elementary level on subject matter covered in class.
- Speak Hawaiian with the proper inflection, intonation, and rhythm.