A survey course covering the development of the major civilizations of East Asia, South and Southeast Asia, and historical personages and events from the earliest periods to the 1500’s.
- Identify important individuals and events in premodern Asian history, i.e. demonstrate historical literacy.
- Describe cause and effect relationships in Asian history.
- Order chronologically significant events in Asian history.
- Describe major Asian historical processes (e.g. the agricultural revolution, the rise and spread of religions, the development of political institutions, etc.)
- Acquire a sense of historical perspective.
- Demonstrate an understanding of historical concepts as they relate to premodern Asian historical issues and events.