MUS 106 : Intro to Music Literature
Elements, styles, and forms of music, from the listener’s standpoint. Focus on classical music literature. Concert attendance and written critique required for two live performances during semester.
- Identify masterpieces of classical music repertoire.
- Distinguish the essential compositional characteristics of the several stylistic periods in music/art history and representative composers from each period, which help place unfamiliar repertoire into familiar periods.
- Contrast/compare music of any type (i.e., classical, popular, ethnic, seasonal) for texture, form, melodic contour, harmonic orientation and time of composition.
- Compare/contrast the live performances seen during the semester.
- Define the elements that make up classical performance tradition and etiquette.