MUS 107 : Music in World Cultures
Music as organized sound and as a cultural object. Role of music in various societies: ancient and modern, sophisticated and non-sophisticated, child and adult, Western and non-Western. Representative styles and regional characteristics viewed in terms of musical characteristics and related cultural factors; a conceptual introduction to music and culture. Attendance at one ethnic performance is required.
- Describe the role of music in different cultures.
- Describe the distinctive aural features and music aesthetics of a music culture.
- Describe the historical, religious, social, and political aspects of a society that contribute to the development of a music culture.
- Affirm the validity of other music traditions.
- Contrast/compare one’s own music within the broader context of other music traditions.