MUS 177 : Intro to Hawaiian Music
A survey of Hawaiian music from Polynesian origins and pre- contact traditional forms to acculturated and contemporary forms and expressions including vocal, instrumental and dance music in their social, cultural and religious contexts.
- Identify and define the basic concepts, terminology and distinguishing features of Western European and Hawaiian music.
- Identify the distinguishing features of indigenous and post- contact Hawaiian music and musical instruments.
- Explain or discuss the functions of music in pre-contact Hawaiian society and in contemporary Hawai‘i.
- Identify and discuss important events and personalities in the evolution of Hawaiian music.
- Put theories of Hawaiian music into practice in vocal and instrumental performances.