MUS 253 : Elementary Music in Action
Deals with musical concepts, philosophy & pedagogy; the use of media, singing, movement, and instruments; and resources for an active elementary classroom. Presents correlation between music and brain development in early childhood. Intended for Education majors. Music is a vital stimulus to the developmental process and contributes to the emergence of positive self-esteem. Elementary education candidates learn to apply appropriate strategies in order to provide music making as part of everyday classroom activities.
- Identify and write the basic components of Western music notation.
- Apply basic theoretical components of Western music notation to written examples of music.
- Notate and read basic rhythm and melodic patterns, both in simple and compound meters.
- Apply basic knowledge of basic theoretical concepts to performance on various instruments.
- Teach a mini model lesson, demonstrating a grade-appropriate musical concept.
- Harmonize simple melodies.