Historical survey of the teachings and practices of the major religious traditions of India.
REL 150 or 151.
Placement in ENG 100, or consent of instructor.
- Identify the myths, histories, doctrines, and practices of Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, and Sikhism.
- Identify each religion’s understanding of the human condition, ethics, knowledge, death, the afterlife, and conceptions of the divine.
- Identify common themes within the religions studied.
- Interpret primary sources (such as epics, devotional poetry, mystical instruction, myths, and hymns).
- Examine the relationship between religion and culture/society.
- Question and think critically.