Major Hawaiian religious teachings and practices from ancient times to the present. Investigation of cultural influence of Hawaiian religious beliefs; analysis of religious texts and relation to other traditions. This course may be applied to the BA language/culture core requirements at UH Mānoa.
- Identify and access major sources on Hawaiian religion.
- Express thoughts on Hawaiian religion in oral and written form.
- Compare and contrast elements of the Hawaiian religious experience with others or with their own.
- Identify ways in which Hawaiian religious thought and practice continues in the present.
- Interpret some symbolism of Hawaiian religious ritual and poetry.