First semester of introductory biology for all life science majors. Topics include: Overview of the science of biology; Cell structure, chemistry, growth, and reproduction; Classical, chromosomal and molecular genetics; Evolution, phylogeny and systematics; and Biology and diversity of viruses and bacteria.
High school chemistry or college chemistry and registration in BIOL 171L.
- Develop and evaluate a scientific hypothesis.
- Describe cell structure and function.
- Describe how genetic characteristics are passed from generation to generation and how they are manifested into the characteristics of the whole organism.
- Explain how the process of biological evolution influenced the history of life on our planet.
- Classify living things into a hierarchical system of groups based upon morphology, genetics, and phylogeny.
- Describe the characteristics, systematics, and biology of viruses and bacteria.