The Academic Subject Certificate in Hawaiian Music prepares and encourages students to pursue a professional career in Hawaiian music performance or as a studio musician. In this certificate students will specialize in Hawaiian music and will help with perpetuating and preserving this art form.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate basic elements of music theory and applications in areas such as notation, rhythm, and expression in the Hawaiian context
- Demonstrate professional performance practices
- Analyze Hawaiian music history, literature, and culture and their applications to modern society
- Access the meanings to Hawaiian language songs, and correctly pronounce Hawaiian music lyrics
This certificate consists of a minimum 25 credits.
Required Courses (16 credits)
* MUS 211 needs to be taken twice.
MUS 121Z or 121F +
Choose nine (9) credits from the following: